Orthopaedic Trauma Care at CNOS
About Orthopaedic Trauma
Orthopaedic trauma refers to any injury to the bones, joints, or tissue resulting from an external force. Oftentimes, these injuries come from a low energy incident such as a fall, or high energy, such as a car or motorcycle accident. But, they can also be caused by overuse, such as stress fractures from running or other extraneous activities.
CNOS offers orthopaedic trauma services throughout Siouxland for children and adult patients. Because orthopaedic trauma encompasses such a broad spectrum of injuries, our team takes a multidisciplinary approach, collaborating with different specialities throughout the region to achieve the best patient outcomes.
Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeons Treat
Our dedicated trauma surgeons have additional fellowship orthopaedic trauma training in treating all aspects of trauma patients. This includes:
- Isolated fractures such as ankle fractures and wrist fractures with multiple injuries/multiple broken bones
- Complex “polytraumas”
- Pelvis/acetabulum fractures
- Mangled extremities or “open fractures” where the bone has broken the skin
- Fractures that have healed incorrectly or haven’t healed (Malunions/Nonunions)
- Dislocation (Joint Dislocations)
- Hairline fractures from overuse (Stress Fractures)
- Other overuse injuries
- Periprosthetic fractures
- Periarticular fractures (fractures around or involving a joint)
Why Consult CNOS?
Not all trauma injuries are life-threatening. But many can be life-altering if left unaddressed.
In many cases, a primary care provider or urgent care clinic can treat some of these injuries. But CNOS orthopaedic surgeons have advanced training in the musculoskeletal system. Many specialize even further, focusing on one area of the body, such as the knees, hands, or feet.
With this depth of knowledge, we can not only treat the trauma patient, but collaborate with other disciplines and care centers to provide the most effective treatment. This can reduce patient stress by limiting travel and multiple clinic visits. It also returns our patients to functioning form as efficiently and effectively as possible.
CNOS Orthopaedic Trauma Locations
CNOS has multiple partners that care for urgent orthopaedic trauma cases.
- Mercy One Siouxland Medical Center (Level 2 trauma center) – Open 24/7
- UnityPoint Health (Level 3 trauma center) – Open 24/7
- Orthopaedic Trauma Clinic – Monday-Friday
- Orthopaedic Urgent Care – 7am-4pm Monday-Friday
While we typically follow trauma patients in our dedicated orthopaedic trauma clinic at CNOS in Dakota dunes, we also partner with several outreach clinics throughout the region to help with follow-up, rehabilitation and care.
CNOS Orthopaedic Trauma Care Clinic Locations
The following CNOS clinics offer orthopaedic trauma care in communities throughout Siouxland. Find a clinic near you to visit with an orthopaedic trauma specialist.